As serious and bona fide Fitness Professionals
in Singapore, we stand by our commitment to adhere to the following Professional Code Of
Ethics at all times :
1. Provide quality instruction to all
clients and customers.
2. Screen health, exercise and nutrition
history by having all clients complete a standard questionnaire form and,
if necessary, complete a pre-exercise testing and/or doctor's physical (
for one-on-one personal fitness services )
3. Provide modified training programs for
clients with special requirements or fitness levels.
4. Obtain specialized education for
training special groups, e.g., the mentally challenged, youths, senior
citizens etc., if applicable to the business operations and services
5. Investigate, learn and incorporate
valid, current research in the programs created.
6. Apply logic and objectivity, not
emotion and subjectivity to all procedures.
7. Be knowledgeable and competent in CPR
and emergency procedures while providing and maintaining a safe and
effective training environment.
8. Encourage commitment to quality
nutrition and fitness as a lifelong goal by following a regular exercise
program and proper dietary habits.
9. Educate clients about the benefits of
a healthy lifestyle and promote self-reliance when appropriate.
10. Track the progress of clients and
offer assistance when needed.
11. Respect the confidentiality of the
clientele, never to disclose to any person any personal information
acquired by a client unless authorized, in writing, by the client, unless
a risk of health or death becomes an issue.
12. Avoid sensual or sexual touching and
maintain professional touching in cases of technical spotting, correcting
technique or posture, or when conducting necessary assessments.
13. Uphold a professional image by
dressing appropriately, refraining from unhealthy practices and
maintaining a positive attitude.
14. Accurately representing one's
qualifications, avoid misleading advertising, and accept responsibility in
one's actions and fitness recommendations.
15. Recommend other professionals in
fields outside one's expertise.
16. Respect the rights, welfare, and
dignity of fellow professionals and exchange knowledge and experience for
the benefit of the exercise and nutrition science industries.
17. Never discredit other fitness
practitioners, facilities, or organizations publicly through comment or
conduct unless an objective opinion serves to educate the public about low
quality or unsafe or dangerous practices.
18. Conduct business in a manner that
commands the respect of the public.
19. Supply sufficient information to
enable consumers to make an informed decision regarding membership and/or
fitness package services, and that the following is adhered:
- All promotional material is
truthful, accurate, and clear. Refrain from using misleading or
false advertising or marketing procedures that mislead or
misrepresent pricing, benefits, consumer needs or staff
abilities, or produce sales based on fear or guilt.
- Promotional materials do not
encourage unrealistic expectations and the outcomes attainable
from services or the facility and equipment provided.
- Not to make misleading or
false comparisons with services offered by competitors.
- Prospective clients are
allowed to inspect the premises without any obligation to
purchase any service.
- This code and the standards
contained herein are made available for client and prospective
- To act ethically and
professionally, and avoid any unreasonable sales methods,
including harassment or coercion.
20. Maintain honesty in all business
transactions through fair pricing and abide to all contracts; and deliver
what is promised through contract and otherwise.
21. Provide a high value of service to
enhance customer confidence and loyalty, thus improving long-term
commitment, and continue to increase the value and benefit of services and
22. Maintain a high set of business
standards that protects the rights and safety of the client.
23. Participate in the teachings and
promotion of fitness science and objective practices, whenever possible.
24. Remain current on theoretical and
practical information within the field through continuing education
activities or by investigating quality information.
25. Never discriminate on the basis of
sex, race, age or mental and/or physical limitations, and strive to
provide equal and fair treatment to all individuals.
26. Expose irrationality that promotes
potential danger or injury to individuals who do not have the expertise or
knowledge to know better, and to safeguard the public by reporting
violations to the relevant authorities.
27. Comply with local government laws of
the land including, but not limited to, applicable business, medical,
employment, and copyright laws.
Adapted from the Fitness
Do connect with us on
Blogger for the latest updates and news on fitness, exercise, nutrition and more!